6th PARIS SUMMER SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK
JULY 1 – JULY 22, 2022
SORRY, APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED FOR 2022 !
What is the Paris Summer School of Social Work?
The Paris Summer School of Social Work program is a unique pathway to understanding the issues facing society in France and Europe today and how French Social Workers deal with them.
- Organized by École Pratique de Service Social, the Paris Summer School of Social Work program is tailored for students, researchers or professionals in Social Work. We offer a comprehensive overview of Social Work in France as well as a practical experience through short field placements.
- Paris is a great open-air classroom. We grab every opportunity to take you out there to get a comprehensive view of Social Work in France: walking tours and field visits bring history and culture to life in the City of Light.
- Fun social events provide a great insight into French culture and way of life. Week-end getaways will allow you to discover some of the most beautiful historical landmarks outside the capital.
Paris Summer School of Social Work 2023
Sign up to get more information about the session of 2023
Extend your stay in Paris at no extra cost! Your program fee entitles you to one extra week-end FREE of charge in the dorm.
École Pratique de Service Social is one of the oldest schools of Social Work in France (1913)
Our Alumni have distinguished themselves for the past century by their significant contributions to Social Work in France and in the world.
The school is close to the Latin Quarter and breath-taking Luxembourg Gardens. It is surrounded by great cafés, restaurants and shops in one of the safest areas of the capital, day or night. The school is fully equipped to meet every international standard.
The Paris Summer School of Social Work is an intensive program focused on French social work intervention, delivered in English.
It aims to foster intellectual curiosity and prepare participants to work within a very multicultural and international society.
Through a targeted effort to increase awareness, Paris Summer School participants will be able to:
- Appreciate and respect the cultural differences of individuals and groups
- Develop ethics, knowledge and critical thinking skills
- Understand the history of social work and its contemporary issues
- Evaluate social work practice intervention in France within families, groups and communities
- Contribute to making the world a better place through innovative social impact projects
The program is divided into multiple formats that include but are not limited to lectures, field visits, and professional placements.
- Lectures are on-line or in-class, delivered in English by experienced teachers and social workers and may include guest presenters.
- Field visits are delivered out of class, in English or translated from French into English.
- Professional field placements are carried out in a choice of fields and topics (depending on participant’s level and placement options) in French, with an English speaker on hand.
- Individual or group study provides time to work on social impact projects
- Weekly debrief sessions go over field and placement experience and any issue that needs to be addressed.
Some reading an research will be expected before and during the program.
The program is an intensive immersion in French Social Work and way of life.
A typical day will start around 9 am and can end anytime between 5pm or later, depending on social activities or placements, with the exception of one free afternoon a week.
- There is one lecture and visit per day.
- Morning lectures: between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm. They are carried out in English.
- Afternoons are dedicated to meeting active professionals in their own environment.
- Placements: There are 2 days of professional placements during the program.
- 1/2 day of ethnographical field observation
- Personal work: In addition, each student should expect to undertake at least 1 hour of independent study per day.
Evenings are (usually) free for you to enjoy the great Parisian life.
Transferring Credit (outside Europe)
If you wish to transfer credit to your university of origin please have your international advisor contact us prior to your visit to see how we can help you.
Students may receive on request, a class sheet and a transcript at the end of their study period. It is agreed that this provides sufficient information to enable home universities to decide on the credit they wish to allocate and the grade(s) they wish to award to their students who studied at the Ecole Pratique de Service Social.
European Credit Transfer System (within Europe)
The program is credited 6 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System).
Oral presentations or written-papers are part of the general assessment program which will also include a final evaluation.
Weekly debrief sessions are organized to make sure everyone is coping with their international learning experience.
Prior to the program
Prior to the program, participants are granted access to the on-line learning platform (Moodle) as well as a Google Drive containing complementary learning resources to help prepare for the first lectures and visits.
The subjects covered on-line are (to date):
- Social work : from the 20th century to the present day (focuses on French social work and is accompanied by a short survey to be complete before June 20th)
- Social policies and institutions (provides a broader view of French society)
- Social work professions
- Gender and diversity
Based on experience, areas of interests and distance, applicants can choose their placements from a variety of agencies. These are available on-line mid-June and cover most areas of social intervention in France.
Participants are encouraged to increase their grasp of the language by using multiple, free on-line ressources.
Classes take place in our gorgeous 19th century building located in the heart of the Montparnasse area.
Extend your stay in Paris at no extra cost! Your program fee entitles you to one extra week-end FREE of charge in the dorm (check-out on July 25th at the latest).
Accommodation is available from June 30th to July 25th at the Foyer International des Étudiantes (93 boulevard Saint Michel, 75005 Paris), in a quiet and safe location just minutes away from the school.
The dorm is set in an unique location overlooking the Luxembourg Gardens, between Montparnasse and the Latin Quarter and offers double dorm-rooms (single room upon request for an additional fee)
Walk out the door and are you will be just steps away from Notre-Dame, the Pantheon, Latin Quarter, Sainte Chapelle!
Included: bedding and sheets, weekly housekeeping.
Please note that towels are not provided!
- Spectacular view over Paris
- High-speed wireless internet
- Doorkeeper 24/7
- Dining hall
- Concert hall
- Music room and lounge
- Kitchen area
- Shared toilets and showers (non-gender specific).
- Coin laundry and dryer
DISCLAIMER: Applicants should be aware that the Foyer is not equipped with air-conditioning.
- RER B Luxembourg
- Bus 38 and 82
- Metro Saint-Michel
Your summer school package includes a wide range of services
|STUDY PERIOD||E-learning, lectures, field visits, placements||
|July 1||July 22|
|ACCOMODATION||Double or single* standard room
*extra fee applies
|June 30||July 25|
|TRANSPORTATION PASS||Unlimited metro, buses, express rail||
|July 1||July 31|
|AIRPORT PICK-UP||Airport pick-up from airport||
|Specific hours, arrivals only, on request||June 30|
|July 1||July 25|
|2 Orientation Days||Museums tickets, visits, tours||
|July 1||July 2|
|2-day Loire Valley tour||Transfers, hotel, breakfast, visits||
|July 9||July 10|
|1 day Versailles tour||Tickets for castle, gardens, Petit Trianon, Grand Trianon||
|July 17||July 17|
|Social events||Opening and closing ceremonies, chocolate tasting, international evening||
|July 1||July 23|
|BONUS DAYS||3 BONUS days, stay for FREE||
|Accomodation only||July 23||July 25|
|PLANE TICKET||Transport to/from home country||
|HEALTH INSURANCE||Must cover medical assistance, medication and repatriation||
|PERSONAL EXPENSES||Daily expenses||
|OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES||Expenses for self-led activities||
- Meet & Greet
- Orientation days (2 days – Latin Quarter walking-tour, Seine river boat, Arc of Triumph, tickets to various museums)
- Week-end tour (2 days – Loire Valley Tour includes hotel, transportation, tickets to Chambord and Chenonceau castles with stops in Blois and Amboise)
- Versailles Castle (1 day, self-guided, includes Castle, Gardens and Trianon)
- Opening and closing ceremonies
- International evening
And a few additional surprises…
(before Jan. 31)
|ZONE A||1500 €||1600 €||1700 €|
|ZONE B||1970 €||2170 €||2370 €|
|ZONE C||2490 €||2740 €||2990 €|
Professional social workers or faculty members affiliated to European universities may apply for STT Erasmus+ funding. Students may request an SMP or SMS grant from their home university (conditions apply). Please contact your international coordinator to receive the necessary information.
Ecole Pratique de Service Social does not provide any scholarships. You may consult your home university study-abroad advisor to see if some grants are available. American citizens may contact Generation Study Abroad for information or support.